Chef Jill Holland's Summer Salad is bursting with fresh flavors of the season with grilled watermelon and grilled peaches, mixed with black cherries, watermelon rind, and red onions pickled in A Spoon Full of Hope honey. Perfect for your next picnic or summer party!
Chef Jill recommends A Spoon Full of Hope Palmetto or Wildflower honey as the sweetener in the pickling juice for the watermelon rind and cherries instead of sugar. It's a healthier, and more flavorful option with subtle earthy and flowery notes.
The best part of this recipe is that every purchase of A Spoon Full of Hope Honey benefits Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida's Culinary Training Program. You can feel good that every bite, every spoon full, is helping change lives!
GRILLED WATERMELON, PEACHES AND CHERRIES SUMMER SALAD RECIPE
- 1 small Watermelon, peel and rind removed (save rind), cut fruit into slices
- 3 large ripe, but firm Peaches, discard pit, cut fruit into ½ inch rings
- 1 lb Black Cherries, pitted and cut in half
- 1 small Red Onion, thin slices
- 2 cups Watermelon rind, green peel removed, small diced
- ¾ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 cups Water
- ½ cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Kosher Salt
- ¾ cup A Spoon Full of Hope Wildflower or Palmetto Honey
- Fresh basil
- Heat grill to high heat.
- Put black cherries, red onion slices, and watermelon rind in a large bowl.
- In a small sauce pot bring the vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and A Spoon Full of Hope Wildflower or Palmetto Honey to a boil. Remove from heat and pour over cherry mixture. Set aside to cool uncovered.
- Lay out watermelon and peach slices and lightly salt one side.
- Grill watermelon and peaches for 45-60 seconds each side (just enough to get beautiful grill marks on each side. Peaches will soften as they grill, so be sure to start with slightly firm peaches.
- Cut fruits into bite-sized cubes and combine. Allow to cool 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Strain cherry mixture leaving it in approx. 2 cups of the liquid. Allow to cool 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Strain remaining liquid from cherry mixture.
- Combine pickled mixture with grilled fruit.
- Garnish with thinly sliced basil.
IN THE KITCHEN WITH CHEF JILL:
Follow along with Chef Jill as she prepares this Grilled Watermelon, Peaches and Cherries Summer Salad. Click here to watch "In The Kitchen with Chef Jill" on Facebook Live and tell us what you think in the comments.
Follow us on Facebook and tune in to more FREE Online Cooking Demos with Chef Jill.
Thank you for your support!
Every A Spoon Full of Hope product you purchase benefits the Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida Culinary Training Program. This no cost 16-week program provides qualified, economically challenged adults with the culinary and life skills training to pursue a sustainable career in the food industry. Every product you buy helps change lives.
We look forward to seeing your recipe creations! Share your photos of dishes using A Spoon Full of Hope products on Facebook and Instagram and tag us @ASpoonFullofHope and use hashtag #ASpoonFullofHope