Cheesy Corn Fritters with Hot Honey
We're always excited to find new creative ways to use A Spoon Full of Hope Honey in the kitchen! Chef Ian Russell, owner of award-winning Smoke & Donuts, named one of the Best Spots for BBQ in Orlando by USA Today and an avid supporter of Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida, joined Chef Jill in the kitchen to share his Cheesy Corn Fritters drizzled with Hot Honey. The recipe was so delicious and so easy to make, we know it will be the perfect accompaniment to grilled or BBQ meats for your summer cookouts.
What is Hot Honey?
You may be wondering what exactly is hot honey and more importantly, how spicy it is. Hot honey is simply honey infused with chile peppers.
The spice level will vary depending on the type of peppers used and whether you expose the seeds of the peppers or not when simmering. You can play with the peppers to reach your desired level of heat, but you shouldn't expect it to be overwhelming.
Hot honey was one of the top food trends of 2020 providing a delightful sweet-spicy kick to all sorts of dishes, from pizza to chicken sandwiches; roasted veggies to donuts and fritters.
What Type of Honey is Best Used for Hot Honey?
A Spoon Full of Hope offers a variety of local raw and unfiltered honeys with unique characteristics and flavor profiles which suit different recipes. Chef Ian chose our Orange Blossom Honey for this recipe. The light, fruity, floral and distinct citrus flavor offers a nice balance to the heat of the peppers.
The best part of this recipe is that every purchase of A Spoon Full of Hope Honey benefits Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida's Culinary Training Program. You can feel good that every bite, every spoon full, is helping change lives!
Cheesy Corn Fritters with Hot Honey Recipe
Recipe by Chef Ian Russell, Smoke & Donuts
- 8 each Chile de Arbol
- 4 each Jalapeños, fresh
- 2 each Serranos, fresh
- 24oz A Spoon Full of Hope Orange Blossom Honey
- Toast the chile de arbol until aromatic (approx. 2 mins on medium heat)
- Combine all ingredients in a sauce pot
- Simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and allow to cool
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve and reserve the chilies to make a paste
- Store cold
Cheesy Corn Fritters
- 2.5 lbs Corn Kernels, Fresh or Frozen
- 2 Eggs, whole, beaten
- 5oz Water
- 3 oz Oaxaca Cheese, grated
- 3 oz Flour, All Purpose
- 2 oz Cornmeal, Fine Ground
- 4 oz Sugar, granulated
- 1.5 tsp Salt, kosher
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper, ground
- Sage or Epazote, minced (optional)
- Pork rinds (optional)
- Brown corn on flat top with butter. Brown only on 1 side, and then remove.
- While corn is browning, combine cheese, egg, and water.
- Mix together warm corn, cheese, egg and water.
- Combine dry ingredients (Flour, Sugar, Salt, Black Pepper, herbs if desired).
- Make a well in the dry ingredients.
- Add the corn mixture to the dry ingredients and combine all at once. Please do not over mix. Mix only until the dry ingredients have been combined with the corn mixture.
- Store refrigerated for at least 3hrs before frying.
- If using, add pork rinds to mixture, just before frying. (Omit to keep this a vegetarian friendly recipe)
- At service, scoop fritter mixture using 3/4oz disher scoop or tablespoon into a deep fryer.
- Fry to golden brown. Immediately sprinkle with salt upon removal from deep fryer.
- Drizzle with hot honey and serve.
IN THE KITCHEN WITH CHEF JILL:
Follow along with Chef Jill and Chef Ian as they prepare these fantastic Cheesy Corn Fritters with Hot Honey. Click here to watch "In The Kitchen with Chef Jill" on Facebook Live and tell us what you think in the comments.
Follow us on Facebook and tune in to more FREE Online Cooking Demos with Chef Jill.
Thank you for your support!
Every A Spoon Full of Hope product you purchase benefits the Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida Culinary Training Program. This no cost 16-week program provides qualified, economically challenged adults with the culinary and life skills training to pursue a sustainable career in the food industry. Every product you buy helps change lives.
We look forward to seeing your recipe creations! Share your photos of dishes using A Spoon Full of Hope products on Facebook and Instagram and tag us @ASpoonFullofHope and use hashtag #ASpoonFullofHope