Recently, six student chefs studying culinary arts in Second Harvest's Culinary Training Program participated in Orlando's first Cookie Crumb Rumble challenge. In collaboration with Girl Scouts of Citrus, students created unique recipes featuring the flavors of beloved Girl scout cookies.
The challenge provided students with the opportunity to showcase their baking and pastry skills and gave a group of Girl Scouts the opportunity to gain first-hand exposure to career options in culinary arts.
The Baklava Cheesecake created by Enas features A Spoon Full of Hope's Orange Blossom Honey for Good. Enas is originally from Egypt and grew up learning family recipes in her grandmother's kitchen. After to moving to the United States, she began replicating family recipes and decided to pursue a career in culinary arts. She says, "Food always brings people together. I love people and love food!"
Pictured above: Marie, Girl Scout (L) and Enas (R).
Watch they Marie and Enas join Chef Jill to make this delicious dessert. Then use the recipe below to make this cake at home.
1 ½ c. TOAST-YAY Cookies
4 Tbsp. melted butter
4.8 oz. softened cream cheese
1 c. granulated sugar
3 Tbsp. flour
16 oz. sour cream
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 c. chopped walnuts
¼ c. sugar
1 Tsp. cinnamon
10-20 phyllo sheets
1 c. melted butter
- Pre-heat oven at 325 degrees.
- To prepare crust: Combine cookie crumbs on the bottom and upside of 9 spring form pan.
- To prepare cheesecake filling: In a large bowl beat cream cheese, sugar, flour, and sour cream on high speed mixer for 10 minutes until it’s fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs one at a time and beat it until its smooth, then pour into a spring form pan.
- To prepare baklava: Combine walnuts, sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut a 9-inch round pattern out of wax paper and fold it in half. Fold phyllo sheets in half so the short ends meet. Place the straight edge of the wax paper pattern on the folded edge of the phyllo. Cut the phyllo following the pattern. Layer and butter the phyllo sheets and place on top of cheesecake filling. Spread the walnut mixture over the phyllo layer and butter on another sheet of phyllo. Trim the phyllo round to fit the pan. Bake in preheated oven for 55 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature and refrigerate for 6 to 12 hours.
- Combine Orange Blossom Honey for Good and 2 tsp of water in a sauce pan and bring to 200 degrees.
- Slowly spoon caramelized honey over the cheesecake.