These roasted vegetables are great all on their own as a meal or matched with roasted chicken or fish. Serves 4 for a main dish or 6 as a side item.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- ½ lb brussels sprouts halved
- ½ lb cut carrots into ½” slices
- ½ lb small new potatoes halved – ¼ lb purple, ¼ lb white
- 2 large shallots quartered
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp balsamic syrup
- 1 tbsp Honey for Good
1. In a large bowl toss brussels sprouts, carrots, potatoes with 2tbsp of oil, salt and black pepper. Toss gently to coat evenly.
2. Transfer the vegetables to a foil covered baking sheet, taking care to separate the vegetables so they roast and not steam.
3. Bake about 30 minutes or until tender and caramelized.
4. Put roasted vegetables in a serving dish. Mix remaining tbsp of olive oil, balsamic syrup and Honey for Good. Pour over vegetables. Toss gently to coat evenly.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
If you can’t find balsamic syrup at your grocery store here’s a quick recipe.
2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
6. Combine vinegar and sugar in a small skillet over medium high heat with a wood spatula constantly stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes. The syrup is ready when the spatula leaves a path as you run it along the bottom of the skillet. Take off the heat and cool before using. Keeps in a sealed jar in refrigerator for about a month.